port upgrade outdated order

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Mar 4 08:34:32 PST 2015

On 04.03.2015 12:29 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Aren't you relying on the assumption that all ports register all the files they install?

They really should. If they don't, that's arguably a bug. Exceptions may
apply.

> What happens to files installed because of some port C that are used by port A while it builds, how are you going to block them if port C is not on the dependency list?

If C is not in the dependency list, these files will be inaccessible.
And that's fine/exactly how a strict sandbox should behave.

I should add another fact to clear up some confusion: files, which are
not registered by a specific port are *not* affected by trace mode at
all. They can be accessed as-is. This also holds for symlinks that are
created by port select and the like.

One exception to this rule is anything in /usr/local/. Due to very bad
experiences and frequent build failures due to third-party stuff in
there (not provided Apple, not provided by MacPorts) in /usr/local, this
directory tree is completely shadowed.

Mihai