trace mode to determine dependencies?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:04:37 PST 2015

Hi,

All this talk about trace mode has made me wonder if one couldn't use the foundation on which it's built to determine the dependencies one should declare for a port. Creating a new portfile that's always the big question for me, starting with a rather complete install like mine: have I omitted none of the new port's dependencies?

I'm guessing that with a filter in place that can detect all files a configure and/or build process accesses in ${prefix} but outside of `port work foo` it should be possible to generate the dependency tree ... and even to simplify it so that only direct dependencies are shown. Correct?

If so, even sounds like a nice GSoC "bone" (to gnaw on).

R.