trace mode to determine dependencies?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Mar 5 12:12:46 PST 2015

Hi,

----- On 5 Mar, 2015, at 21:04, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> All this talk about trace mode has made me wonder if one couldn't use the
> foundation on which it's built to determine the dependencies one should declare
> for a port. Creating a new portfile that's always the big question for me,
> starting with a rather complete install like mine: have I omitted none of the
> new port's dependencies?

Yes.

> I'm guessing that with a filter in place that can detect all files a configure
> and/or build process accesses in ${prefix} but outside of `port work foo` it
> should be possible to generate the dependency tree ... and even to simplify it
> so that only direct dependencies are shown. Correct?

Yes. It's a matter of turning all the code that currently makes the builds fail
into code that can optionally allow and log violations. Based on the log data,
a simple match file -> port can be done and shown.

It sounds simple, and it actually is – I just didn't have the time to implement
it and make it configurable.

> If so, even sounds like a nice GSoC "bone" (to gnaw on).

Yeah, feel free to add it to the SummerOfCode wiki page. There already are two
tasks related to trace mode on there.

--
Clemens Lang