MacPort selfupdate using SVN

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 11 09:51:29 PDT 2015

On Mar 11, 2015, at 11:11 AM, Jackson Isaac wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> On 2015-03-11 11:19, Jackson Isaac wrote:
>>> I meant that it doesn't run 'svn update' when I do sync. It just tries to
>>> "Synchronizing local ports tree from
>>> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/"
>>>
>>> The output of running sync with svn was the following:
>>>
>>> """
>>> DEBUG: Copying /Users/JacksonIsaac/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist
>>> to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
>>> --->  Updating the ports tree
>>> Synchronizing local ports tree from
>>> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/
>>> Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider
>>> updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
>>> Creating port index in
>>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
>>>
>>> Total number of ports parsed:    0
>>> Ports successfully parsed:    0
>>> Ports failed:            0
>>> Up-to-date ports skipped:    0
>>> """
>>
>> Okay, this is not as expected, indeed. The code checks for .svn or a
>> successful 'svn info' in the ports tree directory to determine whether
>> it should be synchronized using Subversion. In your case, port just
>> skipped this because it did not find how to sync from a remote source.
>>
>> What do you get if you run the following command?
>>
>> svn info /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/
>>
>> What are the permissions on these directories? (just some guess)
>>
>> ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/
>>

> Jacksons-MacBook-Pro:~ JacksonIsaac$  svn info
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/
> svn: E155007: '/opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports'
> is not a working copy

Based on that, it looks like /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports is not a working copy, which explains why MacPorts can't update it.

> Jacksons-MacBook-Pro:~ JacksonIsaac$ ls -l
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x  5 root  admin  170 Mar 10 20:10 dports
>
> I had used 'sudo svn co
> https://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/' to clone
> the directory as permission was denied to normal user.

Is that the precise command you used? If so, what directory were you in when you ran it? Is it possible that you were in the directory /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports and that therefore Subversion checked out the working copy into /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/dports?