MacPorts hosted mdmg

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sat Mar 14 20:54:49 PDT 2015

At 4:02 PM -0700 3/14/15, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>On Mar 14, 2015, at 2:26 PM, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:
>>  Installing all these dependencies is only
>>acceptable for techies like us, but a normal
>>  user will never bother to deal with all the hassle.
>
>I think we have an opportunity to extend what
>MacPorts does well to include relocatable
>packages or mdmg packages in a way that third
>parties can build distributable packages
>untethered from MacPorts and Xcode. Gimp,
>Kdenlive, digiKam, Octave and many KDE "things"
>would sing praises to MacPorts.

I created mythtv-pkg.27 solely to facilitate
creating an installer package.  Currently,
MacPorts makes it possible to do something that
would otherwise be much more difficult.  As
Clemens pointed out, it would be really nice if
post-activate actions were automatically
converted to postflight scripts.  Better handling
of launchd stuff would also be nice.  Neither of
these things are show-stoppers, though.  One just
has to provide clear user instructions for the
bits that have to be done manually.

If we wanted to use the buildbots to assist with
such packaging, I would think that we should add
a directive to the appropriate portfiles that
cause them to be packaged.  Packaging individual
libraries would be of no value.  Packaging is
valuable for those user-facing applications where
upstream doesn't regularly produce dmg's.

Right now, I use Parallels to maintain several OS
X environments to test building and deploying my
Myth package.  Putting some of that load on the
buildbots would be darn nice.  Especially making
installers for each major OS version.  But I
would still want to test on a virgin system
before inflicting it on unsuspecting users.

Craig