MacPorts hosted mdmg

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sat Mar 14 16:02:55 PDT 2015

On Mar 14, 2015, at 2:26 PM, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:

> Brad,
>
> On 14 Mar 2015, at 22:20 , Bradley Giesbrecht <pixilla at macports.org> wrote:
>> The users I am attempting to serve currently get nothing because installing Xcode, CLT, MacPorts and then installing deps with non-default variants before building the target (octave in this case) is beyond their capabilities or patience.
>
> I absolutely can see where you are coming from… :-)
>
> Did you read the thread entitled
>
>  "A (non)success story of digiKam on OSX/MacPorts involving kde4-workspace and qtcurve”
>
> which I wrote this afternoon? Same thing!

Yes I did. Yes, same thing.

> Installing all these dependencies is only acceptable for techies like us, but a normal
> user will never bother to deal with all the hassle.

I think we have an opportunity to extend what MacPorts does well to include relocatable packages or mdmg packages in a way that third parties can build distributable packages untethered from MacPorts and Xcode. Gimp, Kdenlive, digiKam, Octave and many KDE "things" would sing praises to MacPorts.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)