expecting a user to use `port select` from a Portfile (re: Qt 5 support on OS X 10.6)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Mar 27 06:20:57 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

> IMHO, if upstream have 'officially' dropped support for OSX10.6, then this
> is not something MacPorts ports should second guess, so my preference would
> be for the 3rd option, just drop support. This is what I did with the root6
> port, which had a similar issue.

I'm with René on this. It's one thing to drop support for software for
a small circle of "hackers" and even then only the bleeding edge
version of it (as is the case for ROOT 6) and another thing to drop
support for a framework that could potentially be used in a huge
number of other ports for tiny user-friendly utilities. In particular
now that someone already spent a nontrivial amount of time fighting to
get it to work.

My suggestion would be to require a "hack" from users for now and have
something that conditionally works. And only later try to figure out
if Qt's sources could be modified in such a way that the compiler
could be reliably set to ${prefix}/bin/clang-mp-3.4.

(I'm still eagerly waiting for the day when qt4-mac and qt5-mac will
live side by side.)

Mojca