expecting a user to use `port select` from a Portfile (re: Qt 5 support on OS X 10.6)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 06:49:49 PDT 2015

On Friday March 27 2015 14:20:57 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

Thanks Mojca :)

>My suggestion would be to require a "hack" from users for now and have
>something that conditionally works. And only later try to figure out
>if Qt's sources could be modified in such a way that the compiler
>could be reliably set to ${prefix}/bin/clang-mp-3.4.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried macports-clang-3.4 but given how it must have been the version bundled with Xcode at some point when Qt 5.3.2 was still actual I must presume that it will work.

What do we know about the future of the clang ports on OS X 10.6? Will there be a 3.6 or later version, and will 3.4 (or even 3.5) be retired in a foreseeable future? I don't like hard-coding a compiler version in a build system like Qt does, but it's not impossible. I've actually toyed with the idea of requiring the clang-mp-3.5 since it's the latest clang version available as a binary package and it also corresponds to the version actually in the current Xcode. I decided against that approach because I don't want to pretend to know better than users who have reasons to stick with clang-3.4, and I don't want to impose them to install at least 1 additional large port.

>(I'm still eagerly waiting for the day when qt4-mac and qt5-mac will
>live side by side.)

And I for the day I'm no longer the only one reaping the benefits of my efforts! NB: It is possible to install qt5-mac-devel alongside the current qt4-mac though header file confusion is not entirely excluded. Just saying, because the official qt5-mac maintainer appears to be MIA contrary to the qt4-mac maintainer who reminds me periodically that he still hasn't had the time to test my modifications ;)