Compiler version on the Mountain Lion buildbot

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 28 19:25:24 PDT 2015

On Mar 27, 2015, at 1:40 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I experienced a compile error on 10.8 only.
>    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/47273
>
> It is most likely a compiler bug and I need to figure out which
> compilers to blacklist, but the thing that surprised me most was the
> fact that the compiler on 10.8 seems to be older than the one on 10.7.
>
> Or at least these are the compiler versions judging from the output of
> the buildbot:
>
> - 10.7: Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.28) (based on LLVM
> 3.2svn); Xcode 4.6.2 or 4.6.3
> - 10.8: Apple LLVM version 4.1 (clang-421.11.66) (based on LLVM
> 3.1svn); Xcode 4.5.1 or 4.5.2
>
> Is my observation correct? And if so, what is the rationale for
> keeping an older compiler on a newer OS?

> Independent of the above question I would be grateful for some
> feedback. I don't have a Mountain Lion, so it would be helpful if
> someone could help with testing.

The versions of Xcode and the command line tools on the buildbot builders do not get updated unless we ask the Mac OS Forge administrator to manually do so. I don't recall when that was last done. We could certainly do that to get any buildbot builders with outdated versions updated. Presumably it is wise to wait a little while after a new Xcode release, in case it turns out to be incompatible with something, as is often the case. But since 10.7 and 10.8 aren't receiving Xcode updates anymore we should update them to the latest available, which I guess is 4.6.3 and 5.1.1 respectively. I've filed a ticket:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/47299