upgrading/installing in a background process

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue May 5 02:51:20 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-05 10:19, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Also, it appears that repeating the `port upgrade` command after it
> aborted in the activation phase does *not* complete the interrupted
> procedure. I kind of understand this may be so that one can keep an
> older version of a port activated despite having the newer version
> installed, but in this case it backfires. It seems that the code
> could check to see if the .macports.${name}.state file is still
> present and if so, what it says. In the case at hand, the last
> recorded state is the destroot.

The upgrade check is satisfied when the version is installed. It does
not have to be the active version. It's exactly for the reason you mention.

If you got to the activate phase, the port was successfully installed.
All state is handled by the registry from there. The original Portfile
or work directory will not be considered anymore.

Rainer