upgrading/installing in a background process

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue May 5 07:57:29 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-05 12:12, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday May 05 2015 11:51:20 Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> The upgrade check is satisfied when the version is installed. It does
>> not have to be the active version. It's exactly for the reason you mention.
>
> I think that in that case `port outdated` shouldn't show ports for which an earlier version is activated either...
> That, or there should be a way to check which ports don't have the latest version installed (other than `port -y upgrade outdated`).

You are right, this might be confusing in this situation. Both the
pseudo-port 'outdated' and the port action 'outdated' only compare the
active version of a port.

However, considering any installed version as not being outdated, might
make you miss the fact that an older version is active at the moment.
Then you will never switch back to the latest version.

Maybe the output of 'port outdated' should just indicate that the new
version was installed, but isn't active?

Rainer