upgrading/installing in a background process

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue May 5 08:15:37 PDT 2015

On Tuesday May 05 2015 16:57:29 Rainer Müller wrote:

>However, considering any installed version as not being outdated, might
>make you miss the fact that an older version is active at the moment.
>Then you will never switch back to the latest version.

Which, in a sense, is why `port upgrade outdated` doesn't do that for you :)

>Maybe the output of 'port outdated' should just indicate that the new
>version was installed, but isn't active?

That, or there could be `port active outdated` vs. `port installed outdated` commands? As far as I'm concerned, the confusion stems mostly from the fact that a successful `port upgrade outdated` doesn't silence the output from `port outdated`, and one way to solve that is to remove the outdated action and oblige users to specify what they actually want to know.

R.