upgrading/installing in a background process

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue May 5 08:48:12 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-05 17:15, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday May 05 2015 16:57:29 Rainer Müller wrote:
>> Maybe the output of 'port outdated' should just indicate that the
>> new version was installed, but isn't active?
>
> That, or there could be `port active outdated` vs. `port installed
> outdated` commands? As far as I'm concerned, the confusion stems
> mostly from the fact that a successful `port upgrade outdated`
> doesn't silence the output from `port outdated`, and one way to solve
> that is to remove the outdated action and oblige users to specify
> what they actually want to know.

The output format depends on which command you use. Of course, the
output oif 'port installed' and 'port outdated' differs significantly.
The parameter for those is always an expression that evaluates to a list
of ports.

For example, you could query installation information about all outdated
python modules:

  port installed outdated and 'py27-*'

You cannot switch the output format depending on the input as it is
possible to combine selectors with operators. In the end it is always
just a list of ports.

Rainer