Volunteer for a workshop on "setting up your own buildbot/buildslave"?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 11 07:37:05 PST 2015

On Nov 11, 2015, at 9:33 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2015, at 9:38 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I think the order of operations would be:
>>
>> - Figure out a way to have libstdc++ and libc++ archives coexist on the packages server by either modifying the archive filename or by setting up a second packages server (or subdirectory of the existing server, which would be simpler for mirrors)
>> - Get new buildbot slaves to build libc++ archives, which will get us build reports about what's broken so that we can fix it
>> - Some developers or user switch to libc++ and test more
>> - Develop a strategy for how to migrate libstdc++ users to libc++
>> - Make libc++ the default and transition users to it
>>
>> There might be users who want to stay with libstdc++ because they use MacPorts-built libraries for purposes outside of MacPorts. They could do that by deliberately setting cxx_stdlib to libstdc++ in macports.conf. No default value is present for it, so users who haven't specified it would get upgraded to our new default.
>>
>> I guess most users just want to use ports installed by MacPorts, and would be well served by MacPorts switching to libc++, since more and more ports are unable to build with libstdc++.
>
> ... and by the time this is done - how many people will be running those old systems (which aren't getting security updates anymore)?

I suspect there will be more than you would probably like. :) I realize older systems don't get updates from Apple anymore. That makes it even more important that they should continue to get updates from MacPorts, doesn't it? You seem to prefer that users should throw working old computers into the trash instead and buy new ones? That's not always practical or appropriate.