Volunteer for a workshop on "setting up your own buildbot/buildslave"?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Nov 11 07:43:47 PST 2015

On Nov 11, 2015, at 10:37 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> I suspect there will be more than you would probably like. :) I realize older systems don't get updates from Apple anymore. That makes it even more important that they should continue to get updates from MacPorts, doesn't it?

No, it makes it important that they not be encouraged to connect to the global internet where their lack of security updates means that they're available for nefarious people to use them for bad purpose.

While having up-to-date packages from MacPorts helps some, it doesn't fix the problem since we don't do things like patch the kernel or system libraries ...

> You seem to prefer that users should throw working old computers into the trash instead and buy new ones?

not necessarily. I'm pretty sure there are other operating systems that you can run on Apple hardware ... (ones that are still getting security updates).

> That's not always practical or appropriate.

... which might be why I didn't suggest it ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke