Owner of MacPorts account on GitHub

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Nov 13 09:31:31 PST 2015

On 11/13/2015 03:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 5:40 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Our Trac has some customizations (e.g. the port field and CC button), but
>> we always wanted more. The maintainer should automatically be notified when
>> the port field is set, tickets should be closed when a commit messages
>> contains a "closes #xxxxx" string. We even have scripts ready for some of
>> these, but just could never deploy them.
>
> Please let me know where these scripts are, ticket numbers, and if there was
> any technical problem deploying them or if it's just that nobody got around
> to it.

At least for these, it was just that nobody got around to do that:

Automatic ticket closing (standard feature of Trac):
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41919

Plugin for auto-assigning to maintainers (implemented, not deployed):
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40987

Even older enhancement requests for Trac, that would maybe need a plugin or
changes to the configuration/HTML template:

Validation of the port field:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/15210

Validation of ticket owner/cc list:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/17043

Link placement when going through reports:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/22105

>> From a new system, I would expect to keep the existing features or even
>> better, get everything we wanted. For example on GitHub, we could not add
>> custom fields and the issue tracker is very limited compared to Trac.
>>
>> How customizable would JIRA be in this regard? Can it even be used with
>> simple email setup by users reporting issues?
>
> I pretty much despise jira every time I've encountered it. Its formatting
> syntax is even worse than trac's. I like the simplicity of github's issue
> tracker for most projects, but I'm not sure if it would be sufficient for
> MacPorts.

I agree that the Markdown syntax is now to be found everywhere and most people
already know it. The problem with GitHub issues is the limited filtering. They
only offer labels, but they have to be created on a separate page before they
can be used on any issue. Adding a label for each port does not seem feasible...

Maybe it would be enough to search in the subject instead, but for some ports
with generic names this would return many unrelated results.

Rainer