pyXX-pyobjc-cocoa: consumes gigabytes of memory and never finishes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 17 08:01:18 PST 2015

On Nov 17, 2015, at 12:33 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Since some time I have some serious problem building py35-pyobjc-cocoa on 10.7.
>
> It consumes all the available memory (it can end up with 6 GB), the
> computer nearly freezes (it becomes unresponsive) and there are no
> visible signs of any progress even though I usually lose the nerves
> before being able to confirm that the process was never going to
> finish.
>
> I don't see any tickets filed against this port, so I wonder if I'm
> the only one experiencing this problem or if it's indeed just a matter
> of available time and memory before the port gets compiled.

Are you building in parallel? If so, try not building in parallel, i.e. using

sudo port install py35-pyobjc-cocoa build.jobs=1

Clang can take more memory than gcc-4.2 did, sometimes a lot more, and this may have been worse with the old versions of Clang you'll find on 10.7.

If it's taking more memory than you have physically installed in the machine, that will result in swapping, which will be very slow, so if you can limit the number of clang processes being started, by not building in parallel, that could end up being faster than building in parallel but swapping.