registry lock

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu.ac.at
Wed Nov 18 04:44:23 PST 2015

If there would be only readers, locking would not be necessary. When
there is a single concurrent writer, locking is necessary, otherwise the
reader could see inconsistent state (e.g. partial writes in the
database, or in the file system, or in the interaction between these).
Most systems use per default mutex-locks. Common optimizations
distinguish between read-locks and write-locks, which allow multiple
concurrent readers.

The Tcl thread package (part of tcl 8.6) supports rw-locks
-g