port xmh: upgrade failure due to trace mode?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Nov 24 07:56:57 PST 2015

On 2015-11-24 14:23, Davide Liessi wrote:
> Yesterday night I upgraded some ports on a Yosemite machine using
> trace mode and got a configure failure for port xmh.
> Then I tried again upgrading it without trace mode and it succeeded.
> During the failed try, trace mode reported the following:
>
> Warning: The following existing file was hidden from the build system
> by trace mode:
> /opt/local/bin/gsed

That is expected when you have any of the gnused, gawk, grep, etc.
ports installed. As these binaries are hidden, it is harmless and it
should not cause configure failures.

> (Unfortunately I won't have access to that machine again until
> tonight, and I forgot to copy the logs from the failed upgrade out of
> the machine.)

I am able to reproduce the problem, the relevant part from config.log
would be:

  configure:10607: checking for XMH
  configure:10614: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "xaw7 xmu xt x11 xbitmaps >= 1.1.0"
  Package xbitmaps was not found in the pkg-config search path.
  Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xbitmaps.pc'
  No package 'xbitmaps' found
  configure:10617: $? = 1

xbitmaps is only listed as a runtime dependency, so it is not available
at build time. Once I fixed this, it failed similarly with a reference
to xorg-util-macros.

One solution would be to add port:xbitmaps and port:xorg-util-macros to
depends_build. Although xbitmaps is not actually necessary for building
and xorg-util-macros is not required unless we ran autoconf on the
source. This configure check seems a bit bogus.

Probably the X11 dependencies were found in /opt/X11/share/pkgconfig/
without tracemode enabled.

Rainer