querying arbitrary variables via `port info --var`

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:38:47 PDT 2015

Hey,

A while back Clemens implemented a feature that allows to query the list of patchfiles:

port info --patchfiles foo

that apparently works via a hardcoded list of known/supported variables. I *think* that Tcl allows to query arbitrary variables in this way, so that for instance one could do

port info --configure.args foo

or any of the variables that control fetch/configure/build/etc behaviour without having to modify base for each.
This would be very convenient during port development when adding "ui_msg" statements to the Portfile to check variables could lead to accidental removal of a whole work directory (that might contain unsaved changes).

My Tcl-fu isn't yet back to the level where I could assess how feasible this would be; is it?

R.