querying arbitrary variables via `port info --var`

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Oct 26 05:46:43 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-26 23:22 , René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday October 26 2015 12:59:38 Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> My idea of 'port dump' was to only output options with their values once
>> after parsing the Portfile.
>
> How would that be different from what `port info` does currently?

The purpose of 'port info' is to display metadata, and the pieces of
metadata it has access to are those exported in the PortInfo array.

Querying the values of arbitrary variables in the portfile is a very
different bit of functionality (a developer tool, not for normal users).
The recent addition of a --patchfiles option was borderline IMO. We have
a separate action to display distfiles.

- Josh