querying arbitrary variables via `port info --var`

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Oct 26 07:42:56 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-26 13:46, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2015-10-26 23:22 , René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> On Monday October 26 2015 12:59:38 Rainer Müller wrote:
>>
>>> My idea of 'port dump' was to only output options with their values once
>>> after parsing the Portfile.
>>
>> How would that be different from what `port info` does currently?
>
> The purpose of 'port info' is to display metadata, and the pieces of
> metadata it has access to are those exported in the PortInfo array.

Agreed.

As a fine detail, the contents of PortInfo varies depending on whether
the data comes from mportopen (parsing the Portfile) or from PortIndex.

> Querying the values of arbitrary variables in the portfile is a very
> different bit of functionality (a developer tool, not for normal users).
> The recent addition of a --patchfiles option was borderline IMO. We have
> a separate action to display distfiles.

It seemed useful enough to me, but I have to admit that it might not be
the best place to add this. This is only on trunk at the moment, we can
still change it.

Rainer