Github Checksums ..

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Apr 16 07:55:03 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-16 02:54, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> Yes, that's what I meant. You want to point to archives, because they
> don't change; tarballs will be regenerated on the fly by github, so they
> do not have fixed checksums and you would have to either make "fake"
> accesses to them every so often so github thinks they are still in use
> and won't remove and regenerate them, or update the checksums every week
> or so for the latest generated tarball. Neither one is worth the effort.

I don't think checksums for GitHub tarballs change anymore. Was there
any recent case where it happened? I don't know their implementation
details, but even a simple 'git archive' generates the same reproducible
tarball...

The tarball changes based on whether you download them from
  https://github.com/Z3Prover/z3/tarball/z3-4.4.1
as compared to
  https://github.com/Z3Prover/z3/archive/z3-4.4.1.tar.gz
The reason is that the top-level directory inside the tarball is named
differently.

My interpretation of that statement in the ticket is that the GitHub
port group will fetch a different file, and checksums need to be updated
in the Portfile for that.

Rainer