How to use git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 20:16:07 PDT 2016

On 20/08/2016, at 11:49 AM, Mark Anderson wrote:

> I use git (and Github Enterprise) in my day to day work. I can help out.
>
> Another good (free (as in beer)) client is SourceTree https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

Qt and KDE moved from svn to git a while back.  IIRC it was quite an effort for a
few individuals to port all the repositories across and preserve all the history.
They had to write lots of scripts and check all the results.  I hope it is easier now.

As a KDE developer (and spectator of the changeover from svn to git) I have found
this cheat sheet very useful, but not quite covering all situations I have encountered.
    http://www.cheat-sheets.org/saved-copy/git-cheat-sheet.pdf

Also there are web pages on svn v. git "equivalence" (as far as it goes, which
is not very far IIRC).

I don't know how Github works, but in raw git you have your own local copy of
the repository at all times, so it does not matter so much to a single developer
if his/her central copy is down for a few days.  Multiple developers on the same
repository would feel more pain or less, depending on the degree of overlap
of their work on particular files.  In principle, developers can commit to each
others' local git repositories, rather than via central, but I do not know how much
that is done in practice.  In KDE and Qt people always go via central AFAIK.

Cheers, Ian W.