how about a 'snowleopardfixes' library port?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 07:25:59 PDT 2016

> Just another thought, the declaration could be in its own file,
> referenced with the compile option -include in CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, with
> conditional #ifdef to add extern "C" for C++. The unused declaration
> should not do any harm in other compile units. That way you could even
> avoid generating patches for the ports.

Starting to sound more like a "just works" scenario. Will investigate.

On my own system (Josh and Ryan - please don't listen for a moment) I added a link to the snowleopardfixes library directly into portconfigure.tcl so it happens with every port (along with the -stdlib=libc++ because of the libc++ upgrade made here), and I also made a new file in /usr/local/include/strings.h that calls the system strings.h then adds in the declarations.

So the whole thing works transparently for C code. Still trying to figure out if I can do that declaration trick for c++ code.

but that is certainly not ready for the wild.