[MacPorts] #52081: Ports should require perl5.24 instead of 5.22

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:36:10 PDT 2016

On Wednesday August 24 2016 21:05:29 Mihai Moldovan wrote:

>Uhm but that won't lead to rebuilds...

But there's no need to rebuild here, just as there wouldn't be a reason to rebuild if the perl packages were a runtime dependency.

>to make that perl package a leaf. It's not strictly required, but my personal
>opinion is to do that to enable users to get rid of packages they don't need
>anymore (and at least I don't like to remove build dependencies, as they will be
>pulled in again later anyway.)

Are build dependencies counted in the number of dependents of a port, and if so, why. And if so, is that also the case when a port is installed from a binary package - and if *that* is not the case, how is that difference justified?

R.