PR final steps (to squash or not to squash)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Dec 6 10:39:22 CET 2016

On 2016-12-06 10:34, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday December 5 2016 22:52:51 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
>> Fetching from a fork does not download the full history. Only the
>> objects that are not in your repository are fetched.
>
> That implies adding the fork as another remote with the associated
> house-keeping afterwards? If so, I'd still prefer clicking around a
> bit to fetch a patchfile to create an isolated port directory or
> tree.

You do not even need any other repository:

  git fetch origin refs/pull/89/head
  git checkout -b pull-89 FETCH_HEAD
  git rebase origin/master

Or you can use tools such as hub(1) to work with GitHub to get the
patches and apply them on top of your current branch.

  hub am https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/89

Rainer