PR final steps (to squash or not to squash)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:42:19 CET 2016

On Tuesday December 06 2016 11:39:22 Rainer Müller wrote:

> You do not even need any other repository:
>
>   git fetch origin refs/pull/89/head
>   git checkout -b pull-89 FETCH_HEAD
>   git rebase origin/master

Interesting, does that only change things you can later clean up by deleting the topic branch (pull-89)?
Is the rebase required, even if you have the automatic version of it enabled (rebase/stat=true in ~/.gitconfig, IIRC)?

> Or you can use tools such as hub(1) to work with GitHub to get the
> patches and apply them on top of your current branch.
>
>   hub am https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/89

>From port:hub, right? What does 'am' stand for (and why not use apply to avoid the local commit)?

SourceTree doesn't appear to have anything to streamline dealing with PRs, though the jury is out whether that's a miss (earlier versions didn't make git's more idiosyncratic aspects any clearer for me).

R.