Fwd: Build Failure: (from, 10.6, OS, This, X, builds, configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7, newer, on, only, and 6 more

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:28:14 CET 2016

On Sunday December 11 2016 23:59:08 Joshua Root wrote:

> A Portfile should not should not print anything in response to it simply
> being opened. (Think about it, does a user really want to see this
> message whenever they run 'port info'

Yes they are supposed to! Cf. #52981

This message should ideally be delivered before a user starts trying to install the port, or else when a build failure occurs.

Alternatively I could force the use of a gcc compiler via an obligatory variant (without a default), is there an existing mechanism (PortGroup) that implements such a feature?

I do NOT want to impose a libc++ conversion since I'm 99% certain that no code changes have been made that make it impossible to build using gcc 4.7+ on 10.6 since I last did that myself. Sadly it's no longer feasible for me to check this; the best I can do is try building with gcc on 10.9 .

> or portindex?)

probably not (but I can only think of 1 or 2 users would really care seeing a sensible warning in portindex's output).

> The script that finds out which subports exist has to open the port to do so, and prints
> the list of subports to stdout.

but why would it consider the output from a ui_msg statement as a list of subports? It's never done that for me, and I'd call that a bug, no matter how not-done it is to use ui_msg in a port's common code.

R.