Fwd: Build Failure: (from, 10.6, OS, This, X, builds, configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7, newer, on, only, and 6 more

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:53:13 CET 2016

On Sunday December 11 2016 15:59:13 Clemens Lang wrote:

> 'port info' output is already parsed by scripts today. It's output is
> already machine-readable when using -q info --line --$fieldname. Your
> change breaks this.

Just as machine readable as this line.

This is mostly as a reaction to Mojca's claim that the current scripts couldn't be modified to cope, not to insist on keeping my ui_msg line, but even without resorting to using e.g. XML the parser apparently fails because of an insufficient set of checks on the input. For instance, my warning message contains spaces but no commas, and thus should be rejected as a list of subports. Maybe this is what happens, but if so the error doesn't make that clear at all.

One other usual thing that be done is ensuring that ui_* print to a different stream than the one `port -q info --line` prints to. I would hope that Tcl doesn't make that needlessly difficult.

Let me ask once more: is there anything currently available that makes it easier/less work to add variants that select a gcc compiler? I've been looking at the compilers PG, but cannot assess from the preamble comments whether it's meant to do what I'm looking for or not.

Alternatively I'll just leave things as they were, i.e. no special treatment for 10.6 .