Fwd: Build Failure: (from, 10.6, OS, This, X, builds, configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7, newer, on, only, and 6 more

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Dec 11 16:37:36 CET 2016

On 11 December 2016 at 16:53, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> Let me ask once more: is there anything currently available that makes it easier/less work to add variants that select a gcc compiler? I've been looking at the compilers PG, but cannot assess from the preamble comments whether it's meant to do what I'm looking for or not.

Maybe the compilers portgroup indeed does part of what you want, but
you would still have to provide the logic to tell when to switch to a
particular variant.

MacPorts doesn't support building ports with gcc (in particular not
for the sake of supporting C++11). It might work if no C++ interfaces
are used in dependencies / dependents, but your ports might crash if
Qt5 is built against a differest libstdc++.

MP officially supports using libc++. Problems are still to be expected
even then, but it makes more sense to build the port with clang
against libc++ than to suggest using gcc.

Mojca