Fwd: Build Failure: (from, 10.6, OS, This, X, builds, configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7, newer, on, only, and 6 more

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:44:18 CET 2016

On Sunday December 11 2016 17:37:36 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Maybe the compilers portgroup indeed does part of what you want, but
> you would still have to provide the logic to tell when to switch to a
> particular variant.

No, on 10.6 and 10.6 alone I'd be checking for *a* gcc variant, and raising an error if none is selected. Ideally I'd do that if the presence of libc++ isn't signalled through a variant (or auto-detected), but that's something I really cannot test at all.

This is just one step beyond what happens on a stock 10.6: the build fails unless the user decides to use configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.x . I'd only be formalising that choice.

> MacPorts doesn't support building ports with gcc (in particular not

Please don't use that s-word indiscriminately. MacPorts supports building with a different compiler, and gcc is among the list of supported compilers. Anything beyond that is between the maintainer and users of given ports.

> MP officially supports using libc++. Problems are still to be expected
> even then, but it makes more sense to build the port with clang
> against libc++ than to suggest using gcc.

Maybe, but I cannot and so won't. I did build QtCurve with gcc 4.7 back when I still used 10.6, and that worked.

I'll just drop the special treatment of 10.6, I've got better things to do with what's left of my afternoon.

R.