Mirorring distfiles or enabling libcurl/openssl from MP

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Dec 23 10:54:49 CET 2016

On 2016-12-23 08:42, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> (was: Build Failure: cctools, libmacho, libmacho-headers)
>
> On 21 December 2016 at 12:42, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> On 2016-12-21 04:20, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>>> Can we please configure base on these older builders to use MacPorts' libcurl+libressl/newer OpenSSL (or just a special one we can install to /opt/curl) instead of the host's version?  More and more source mirrors are dropping support for older SSL and TLS versions that aren't supported by Leopard out of the box.
>>>
>>> DEBUG: Fetching distfile failed: SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:
>>> error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
>>
>> It would be more favorable to restore mirroring to
>> distfiles.macports.org, which is currently not happening. That would
>> also solve the fetch problems for older macOS versions.
>
> I agree that mirroring the distfiles again would be ideal, but I'm not
> sure how to set that up and it's been months with a lacking
> functionality. In any case it could take some hours (days?) of work to
> set it up properly and someone should start looking into that. This is
> probably a job that would have to be run before anything else,
> probably even prevent new builds from starting until done, so it might
> be a bit more tricky to set it up properly.

1. Create a new builder with a SingleBranchScheduler on ports
   that mirrors distfiles
2. Remove SingleBranchScheduler for portwatchers
3. Trigger all portwatchers in the last step of the new builder

But so far we have not even deployed the buildbot builders for
sychronizing www/guide/portindex which is also waiting for months in a
finished state.

> Configuring the builders to use libcurl+libre/openssl from MacPorts is
> something that can probably be done in 10-20 minutes per build slave.

We deactivate all ports between builds, so special handling in mpbb
would be necessary to keep these ports as active and avoid operations
that would break the port(1) command.

The buildbots are useful as a test system especially for missing
dependencies, but when curl and openssl are always active we would loose
that functionality.

I don't think it is worth to invest time into this instead of fixing
mirroring.

> (10.5 could just as well be shut down unless one of those two things
> gets deployed. Without having a functional python, py-setuptools, ...
> and with many builds with unmet dependency taking one hour for not
> doing anything ... we're just consuming build cycles for absolutely
> zero benefit and annoying committers with build failure emails. We had
> 4 successful builds out of 200.)

If 10.5 is that broken and nobody wants to fix it, it is probably time
we declare 10.5 as too old and leave it behind.

Rainer