Best way to fetch/extract sources of a dependency

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Dec 30 08:31:24 CET 2016

Hi,

I was playing with a port for comparing NetCDF
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53118

The software depends on netcdf, but also wants to have access to two
headers that are only available in original netcdf sources and not
installed anywhere.

What's the best way to handle this?

I could:
(a) Simply put the two headers inside files/ in the port tree.
(b) Fetch two files directly from a location like
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/v4.4.1.1/include/nc.h
(c) Fetch the whole tarball of netcdf and extract just the files I need.

Disadvantage of (a) is more space being used and less automatism.

Option (b) will cause a bit of headaches with dist_subdir, I guess.

I don't think it's possible to fetch a file nc.h and store it under a
different name like v4.4.1.1-nc.h for example?

Is it possible to store distfile of netcdf under netcdf's folder and
extract it from there? (Or could I also decide to play a bit ugly and
store the new port's files under netcdf as well, so that I won't have
troubles with different distdirs if I go for option(c)?)

Mojca