Guidelines about trac tickets and pull requests

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Dec 30 16:05:24 CET 2016

On 30 December 2016 at 16:57, Arno Hautala wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> (a) Press the button to merge the changes, but the disadvantage is
>> that committer's email is then "quasi-random" (it cannot be configured
>> on per-project basis and I would get my personal email there instead
>> of the macports one).
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can absolutely configure per-project
> committer email. The following should do what you want:
>
>> git config user.name "Mojca Miklavec"
>> git config user.email "mojca at macports.org"

Sure. You can do that when you work on a command line and it works as
intended. But you have no control over this when you press a button in
GitHub's GUI.

There was a lot of pressure on GitHub to allow configuring email per
project (to set the email to which emails from PRs & other
communication are sent).

> If GitHub is overriding the commit author with the logged in user, you
> could always work around that by using a separate GitHub account for
> your MacPorts work. That's less than ideal though.

I don't want a separate GitHub account just for MacPorts. I don't want
to keep signing on and off all the time.

Mojca