registry lock

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jan 4 14:19:37 PST 2016

On Jan 4, 2016, at 5:13 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're aware that the full path to the lockfile is already printed, almost as if to allow people who know what they're doing to copy/paste it into a different terminal window and remove it.

you're assuming a lot there.

> An option to ignore the lock has the benefit of documentation, and can be coupled to a confirmation request.

we don't do interactive interrogation generally for port actions (I don't think the GSOC that added it for interactive sessions landed in a release, but I could be wrong).

Usability research says that that sort of thing ("You're about to shoot yourself in the foot, do you wish to continue? Yes/No") doesn't actually work to protect users.

> I suppose it would also be possible to add additional locking code to protect certain operation that should always be exclusive (like install, de/activate).

please do.

--
Daniel J. Luke