uploading distfiles directly to the distfiles mirror (was: Re: [144262] trunk/dports/lang/py-htmldocs/Portfile)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 6 17:35:47 PST 2016

On Jan 6, 2016, at 7:29 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> Can we make it easier for maintainers to add files to the mirrors? When we used to put files into subversion, it was easy for any maintainer to avoid this problem by just checking in a snapshot. While it's undesirable to go back to that (storing lots of binaries in our svn repo isn't a great idea), being able to upload a snapshot again would be welcome.
>
> It would fix this and to some extent also make it less 'necessary' for people to have ports fetching from source control systems (giving everyone the benefit of having the files mirrored and cacheable).

How would you envision this capability being provided? I wouldn't want to, for example, just open up ftp write access to the distfiles server to anyone who asked for it.

Would we make a web page where people can upload a distfile for a particular port?

Would we make a new port command to submit a distfile?

I don't really want to be in the business of distributing our own files. The purpose of the mirror is to mirror files the developers provide elsewhere.