uploading distfiles directly to the distfiles mirror (was: Re: [144262] trunk/dports/lang/py-htmldocs/Portfile)

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jan 6 17:51:04 PST 2016

On Jan 6, 2016, at 8:35 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> How would you envision this capability being provided? I wouldn't want to, for example, just open up ftp write access to the distfiles server to anyone who asked for it.

maybe for maintainers (or committers only)?

and probably 'sftp' instead of 'ftp'

> Would we make a web page where people can upload a distfile for a particular port?

sure, that would work too.

I would think people's mirrors would go in a user directory too (similar to how the svn stuff worked) - so it would be obvious that it was a maintainer/committer sourced distfile.

> Would we make a new port command to submit a distfile?

that could work too (and might be a nice enhancement later to make it easier on maintainers) - but I don't think we need to wait for our (long) dev/release cycle to get something working.

> I don't really want to be in the business of distributing our own files. The purpose of the mirror is to mirror files the developers provide elsewhere.

Sure, in the general case we shouldn't do it - but when the developer doesn't provide a good stable file (and/or only provides source from a source control system), then the best bad option is for us to create our own distfile.

--
Daniel J. Luke