Broken links detected...to ApplicationServices ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 9 21:18:13 PST 2016

On Jan 9, 2016, at 9:33 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> I’m working on a new version of MythTV (0.28) and I’m stymied on the following.  Every program (23), and every library and filter (28) is reported by MacPorts to have a linking error similar to the following:
>
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
>> Incompatible library version: /opt/local/bin/mythavtest requires version 64.0.0 or later, but /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices provides version 1.0.0
> DEBUG: Marking /opt/local/bin/mythavtest as broken
>
> Web searches and whatnot have not turned up any promising leads so I beg the indulgence of those more experienced than I.
>
> I’m running OS X 10.10.5 wtih Xcode 7.2 and up-to-date command line tools.

What do you get when you run:

otool -L /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices

On my 10.10 and 10.11 systems, the first two lines are:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices:
	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 48.0.0)

So, the OS provides ApplicationServices version 48.0.0 which is backward-compatible with 1.0.0. I'm not sure where you would have encountered a version 64.0.0 of ApplicationServices; it doesn't appear Apple has released any version that high yet.

Also, what do you get when you run:

otool -L /opt/local/bin/mythavtest

Maybe you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set to a value that is causing the wrong libraries to be used.