Removal of perl 5.20

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Jan 10 13:56:29 PST 2016

Hi,

First of all thanks to everyone involved in the process ... we have
made a successful transition to 5.22. As expected it took us 6 months
again, so I'm glad that we didn't start switching to 5.20 which would
require us to repeat the exercise again (for another 6 months?).
Thanks again to everyone for your contributions and I sincerely
apologise if I made some mistakes along the way.

Now we have to remove old perl branches both in ports providing
+perl5_16 as well as for p5.16-foo. I would certainly like to remove
support for 5.16 and 5.18. I'm not yet sure about 5.20, but I'm in
favour of removing support for Perl 5.20 as well unless there are
known problems.

Question(s):

** Does anyone know for any reason to keep the branch for 5.20 alive
or can we remove support for 5.20 as well? Should we perhaps wait a
bit longer to see if any new issues show up before removing support
for 5.20 and if so: for how long?

(By the time we finish that, 5.24 might be out anyway, so we'll soon
end up with two branches again.)

See
    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/50245

N.B.: Please note that we are not discussing any major changes in
packaging of Perl yet. Please make suggestions and discuss about
changes in:
    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/50000
This particular question is just about getting your opinion about
removal of support for perl 5.20. The perl5.20 port would stay, only
modules and branches would go.

Mojca

(Was: Migrating to Perl 5.20/5.22)