Removal of perl 5.20

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sun Jan 10 15:39:52 PST 2016

On 1/10/16 1:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all thanks to everyone involved in the process ... we have
> made a successful transition to 5.22. As expected it took us 6 months
> again, so I'm glad that we didn't start switching to 5.20 which would
> require us to repeat the exercise again (for another 6 months?).
> Thanks again to everyone for your contributions and I sincerely
> apologise if I made some mistakes along the way.
>
> Now we have to remove old perl branches both in ports providing
> +perl5_16 as well as for p5.16-foo. I would certainly like to remove
> support for 5.16 and 5.18. I'm not yet sure about 5.20, but I'm in
> favour of removing support for Perl 5.20 as well unless there are
> known problems.
>
> Question(s):
>
> ** Does anyone know for any reason to keep the branch for 5.20 alive
> or can we remove support for 5.20 as well? Should we perhaps wait a
> bit longer to see if any new issues show up before removing support
> for 5.20 and if so: for how long?

I don't think there is any reason to treat 5.20 as a special case.  The goal
has been to switch to perl5.22 and remove support for any earlier versions.
We've had six months experience with 5.22 with no major problems so I
don't see any reason to keep 5.20 around after 5.16 and 5.18 have been removed.

Dave