VLC cannot play MKV files?

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Sat Jan 23 11:49:22 PST 2016

René,

> No, I wouldn't bother. Building a "dev" port that's almost a year old doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, it wouldn’t stack up. I tried the very latest 3.0.0 night build however, but there’s a small error that ruins the compilation. I had no time to investigate further today. Might be just a minor hitch.

> I wouldn't count on it, as the really expensive operations are (hopefully) already handled by optimised code.

I reckon there are parts of VLC which are written in assembly with auto-detection to run as quickly as possible on a given model. My only gripe (yeah, I like griping) here is that it wastes space, since you must embed all the code for the different processors, while if you compile it you can discard all the unnecessary code at compile time.

> It may mean you'll just avoid skipping frames for instance, and one could call that significant.

I’ve a fairly new Mac (three-year old or so), so performance is no concern during normal operation; however, watching a flick or a show while compiling Qt5 can sometimes be jerky. Besides, more CPU efficiency also means less battery drain.

> You might want to verify that it's not the absence of one of the things you deactivated that leads to your playback issue, or even the use of your optimisation options.

Yeah, I should probably dig into this. 110 MiB for the standard VLC is *huge* by my standards, especially just for watching video files. I have a MacBook Air with the smallest SSD (128 GiB), so every megabyte spared is welcome. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I’ll try to build the latest 3.0.0 pre-release and let you know, if you care.

Thanks for your help and those enlightening comments.

Vincent