VLC cannot play MKV files?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 12:24:17 PST 2016

On Saturday January 23 2016 20:49:22 Vincent Habchi wrote:
Hi,

>> I wouldn't count on it, as the really expensive operations are (hopefully) already handled by optimised code.
>
>I reckon there are parts of VLC which are written in assembly with auto-detection to run as quickly as possible on a given model. My only gripe (yeah, I like griping) here is that it wastes space, since you must embed all the code for the different processors, while if you compile it you can discard all the unnecessary code at compile time.

This typically doesn't take a lot of space, and no compiler option will remove the unused code in software that was meant to support different CPUs at runtime...

>I’ve a fairly new Mac (three-year old or so), so performance is no concern during normal operation; however, watching a flick or a show while compiling Qt5 can sometimes be jerky.

My approach is to run the build on only 3 of the 4 cores I have, and with "nice -15". Building Qt5 (without QtWebengine) takes just a bit over 2h that way, as long as I don't use link-time optimisation (on a 2011 MBP with an i7).

>Yeah, I should probably dig into this. 110 MiB for the standard VLC is *huge* by my standards, especially just for watching video files. I have a MacBook Air with the smallest SSD (128 GiB), so every megabyte spared is welcome. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Check out port:afsctool, HFS compression can make a considerable difference.

>I’ll try to build the latest 3.0.0 pre-release and let you know, if you care.

Why not, but I'm not planning to do anything with VLC for the time being...

'evening,

R.