VLC cannot play MKV files?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 01:35:23 PST 2016

On Sunday January 24 2016 09:46:03 Vincent Habchi wrote:

>Except that you can use configure to detect what model of processor you’re running on, and then with a -D flag eliminate all the code that is not targeted for your CPU (via #ifdef/#ifndef).

Sure. And it is probably also very easy to introduce regressions that way if the #ifdefs aren't already in place.

>> Have you tried renicing the compilation up or the VLC instance down?

No, why would I? If I want to watch video while a compile job runs, the video has priority. Either that competes with compile job (and then I'll just watch another video if the compilation isn't done) or the video requires other resources and thus doesn't affect the compilation overly.
I should add that I have a nice big fat (and "fast") HDD, so compile jobs have a built-in phase in which they shouldn't compete too much for resources with video playback and which also doesn't really depend on the nice value.

Renicing upwards is something I never do.

>I wasn’t aware of it. Thanks! It saves more than 60% with VLC. Cool.

It'll do the same with your /Applications directory or the entire /opt/local tree.

R.