VLC cannot play MKV files?

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Sun Jan 24 00:46:03 PST 2016

> This typically doesn't take a lot of space, and no compiler option will remove the unused code in software that was meant to support different CPUs at runtime…

Except that you can use configure to detect what model of processor you’re running on, and then with a -D flag eliminate all the code that is not targeted for your CPU (via #ifdef/#ifndef).

> My approach is to run the build on only 3 of the 4 cores I have, and with "nice -15". Building Qt5 (without QtWebengine) takes just a bit over 2h that way, as long as I don't use link-time optimisation (on a 2011 MBP with an i7).

> Have you tried renicing the compilation up or the VLC instance down?

No, I didn’t. I am aware I should, but Qt5 with the QtWebEngine takes forever to compile, I’m not sure I want the ordeal to drag on. But next time I will (or, more probably, I will start the compilation before leaving to work).

> Check out port:afsctool, HFS compression can make a considerable difference.

I wasn’t aware of it. Thanks! It saves more than 60% with VLC. Cool.

> Why not, but I'm not planning to do anything with VLC for the time being…

Okay, won’t bother you with it then. I’ll keep it private.

Have a great day/night, depending on your exact TZ.

Vincent