Software that doesn't use DESTROOT and funny tarball directories

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Jul 16 23:16:55 PDT 2016

On 2016-7-17 15:31 , Watson Ladd wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm trying to write a portfile for ChezScheme. The problem is that
> they want you to run configure with an argument indicating the install
> prefix, then don't seem to support DESTROOT. I've gone to upstream to
> instead.

Sometimes telling such a build system that the install prefix is
${destroot}${prefix} will work OK. (But not always.)

> The second question is about names: I named the port chez-scheme.
> Unfortunately the tarball they have expands into one with a directory
> named ChezScheme-9.4 and not chez-scheme-9.4  The obvious thing to do
> is to change the name of the port to ChezScheme, but I do not recall
> many ports with uppercase names. Is this the right thing to do?

Port names are case-insensitive, so capitalise however is preferable.
Furthermore, the name of the port doesn't have to bear any relation to
the distfile name; you can set distname to whatever is needed. See
<https://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.fetch>.

- Josh