platform{} statement

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 08:31:31 PDT 2016

On Sunday June 05 2016 17:00:17 Gustaf Neumann wrote:

> i was talking about a general mechanism, through which a port maintainer
> can change the behavior of commands on which others depend. I do not see
> much danger with extending the platform command as discussed.

Of course. I wasn't thinking of just any port maintainer pushing "rolling" updates to base; that'd be something that only the base maintainers should do evidently, and then only for features that are backwards compatible. But since much of base is implemented in Tcl it shouldn't be particularly hard to override procedures defined in ${prefix}/libexec/macports/lib through files in the central _resources tree. The only question would be when those files would be parsed.

R.