Apache2 rev bump for OpenSSL update

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Thu Mar 3 08:42:22 PST 2016

> On Mar 3, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>
> On Mar 3, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> wrote:
>> The approach I suggested wouldn’t change layout in any way. apache2 would be obsoleted and replaced by apache22, which would be the exact same port as the previous apache2. Parallel to that, apache24-devel would be obsoleted and replaced by apache24, which again would be the exact same port as the one it’s replacing. This would create suite of Apache ports similar to what we now have for MySQL, i.e. mysql51, mysql55, mysql56, etc.
>
> I don't think there's a compelling need to keep apache22 around.

I’m sure there’s a lot of people running Apache 2.2 whose systems (probably highly customized configurations) would break if we did that without some kind of transition, because it’d definitely be a backwards-incompatible change

> If there is, I think it's reasonable to have apache2 be the upstream recommended apache 2 (2.4.x)

But this would not be possible without the backwards incompatible change, because even if we introduce apache22, the plain apache2 would move from 2.2 to 2.4, which I don’t think we should do, at least not without some kind of transition.

- jmpp