Apache2 rev bump for OpenSSL update

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Mar 3 08:56:55 PST 2016

On Mar 3, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> wrote:
> I’m sure there’s a lot of people running Apache 2.2 whose systems (probably highly customized configurations) would break if we did that without some kind of transition, because it’d definitely be a backwards-incompatible change

we don't really do anything generally to help people update configs for ports when the config format changes. Keeping old versions of stuff around forever isn't really a good solution (apache22 is OK for now, but once upstream stops releasing security updates for it, we're doing a dis-service to our users if we keep it around).

Anyone using macports-provided software to provide critical services can't blindly do 'port upgrade outdated' anyway.

>> If there is, I think it's reasonable to have apache2 be the upstream recommended apache 2 (2.4.x)
>
> But this would not be possible without the backwards incompatible change, because even if we introduce apache22, the plain apache2 would move from 2.2 to 2.4, which I don’t think we should do, at least not without some kind of transition.

If someone is willing to put the effort in to maintain it, I'm not opposed - but I don't think we need to do more than have some port notes with a reference to the upstream "upgrading to 2.4" docs.

Creating a bunch of 'dead end' ports may "keep things working" for users at the expense of not letting them know they're running old/outdated versions of things.

--
Daniel J. Luke