logfile name available in Portfile?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Mar 31 03:02:53 PDT 2016

On 31 March 2016 at 11:28, René J.V. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question: is the name of the logfile available in the Portfile, through a variable?
> Reason: I'd like to save a copy of the file in the work dir during the post-configure phase, so that the information remains available regardless of how I build/install a port. While upgrading one of my ports to a new version I usually invoke the build and/or destroot steps separately from the configure step, for instance - or at least the final install/upgrade step. IOW, with my workflow my logfiles are often overwritten.
>
> With large and complex sets of libraries like the KF5 frameworks upgrading-related issues can take a while to surface, so it'd be nice to be able to check certain parts of the build logs even for ports that required repeated attempts to build them.

It might make more sense if we would solve this "globally", even
though I'm not exactly sure how. We are constantly getting
"overwritten" log files submitted to Trac and Ryan usually keeps
repeating himself all the time like a broken violin: "please clean,
try building again, resubmit main.log". Perhaps appending to main.log
would help in some way assuming it wouldn't just make things worse and
more confusing. The log would still be deleted at every "clean" and
every time the "port" detects a change in Portfile (without the `-o`
option) and starts again from the beginning (from fetch/extract, ...).
The log might get more confusing and longer, but it would at least
keep all the relevant information. And you wouldn't have to worry
about deleted logs and implement super weird hacks in Portfiles.

Mojca